All the signs of a classic American summer are here – our blueberry bushes are ripening, there’s a BBQ every weekend, and we’re breaking out the flag for July Fourth.
With Independence Day around the corner, it’s a fitting time for a red, white and blue dessert, making use of what’s colorful and in season – strawberries, raspberries, cherries and/or blueberries. Stacks of berry containers are filling my fridge right now – finding their way into salads, desserts and best of all – enjoying them as is. Our local chefs are using these sweet fruits too – keep reading for highlights of how berries are being dished out at Main Line restaurants.
This light-as-air summer berry trifle is so simple, looks stunning (and patriotic), and attracted so many compliments at recent family events, that I must share it with you. Make your pudding from scratch, bake an angel food cake, and whip your own cream if you must – but all-American Jell-O pudding and Cool Whip make this easy breezy … giving you more time to sit back, relax and enjoy the summer.
Summer Berry Trifle
Serves a crowd
- 2 store-bought angel food cakes (10 oz.)
- 8 cups fresh berries of choice – blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and/or cherries
- Vanilla Jell-O Instant Pudding & Pie Filling (5.1 oz.)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 container Cool Whip Lite Topping
- Gently wash fruit and prepare as needed, hulling and slicing strawberries, removing cherry pits.
- Slice and dice angel food cake into large cubes.
- Whisk together pudding mix and milk; mixture will be thicker than regular consistency. Fold in the cool whip and place in refrigerator until ready to use. For the trifle, use a clear glass trifle or salad bowl.
- To prepare trifle, place a layer of cake cubes (1/3), a layer of fruit (1/3), and spread 1/3 of the pudding mixture. Repeat. Place remaining layer cake, then a layer of pudding and arrange fruit as the top layer.
Where to get your berry fix on the Main Line:
Teresa’s Next Door: Spinach salad with walnuts, Danish bleu cheese, strawberries, balsamic vinaigrette
Restaurant Alba: Mixed Berry Gratin Mascarpone Custard, Polenta Cookies
Nudy’s Café: Steak and Blue Cheese Salad with blueberries, dried cranberries, walnuts, crumbled blue cheese and balsamic vinaigrette
Aux Petits Delices: Tahitian vanilla sponge cake filled with kirsch mousseline, fresh strawberries, mangos, kiwi and raspberries.
Verdad: Strawberry habenero guacamole with house-made tortilla chips
McKenzie Brew House: Key West Salad with Spicy Tuna, seasonal berries, mango salsa, candied walnuts, tomatoes, fresh greens and a honey lime dressing
Sullivan’s Steakhouse: Seasonal Mixed Berries with Vanilla Sauce and Mint
Aneu Bistro & Wine Bar: Strawberry Shortcake with macerated strawberries